Thursday, March 22, 2012

App Wishlist: Word List Generator

There are a few dedicated apps for speech therapy, most of which are too expensive for me to consider for their one dedicated use. I prefer random FREE apps that I can utilize to address a variety of goals. But there are a few dedicated apps I'd consider paying for. One such app would be a WORD LIST GENERATOR.

What it would be: I'd like to see an app that would let me input parameters (inclusion/exclusion of certain sounds or clusters of sounds, their location in the word such as word-initial, medial, intervocalic, final, and syllable numbers) and spit out a list of, preferably common, words. I'd like for this app to use the built in dictionary in iPhone/iPad so that I wouldn't be tied to a WiFi connection to use this app (I'm not sure if there is such a thing in Android devices, but if yes, then the same requirement).

What I would use it for: I would use it to address intelligibility and voice goals mostly, for PD patients and any other dysarthrias. If there were semantic parameters included, I could also generate words to use for language goals.

Is it possible there is already such a thing and I don't know about it? If so, let me know!